- Colombo-bound container vessel impounded at Ctg port(29th July 2021)
- Sri Lanka Shippers' Council Welcomes Director General of Merchant Shipping New Guideline(17th July 2021)
- The 51st Annual General Meeting of the Sri Lanka Shippers' Council(07th July 2021)
- Sri Lanka Shippers' Council Concerns - X Press Pearl Catastrophe(07th June 2021)
- Sri Lanka exporters, importers battle high rates, box shortfalls to maintain trade lifeline(27th April 2021)
- Port of Colombo Operation Update(11th January 2021)
- Port of Colombo Operation Update(22nd December 2020)
- Unlawful Surcharge implemented by Consolidators(22nd December 2020)
- Sri Lanka Shippers' Council meeting with the Chairman and Senior Management of the Sri Lanka Ports Authority(15th December 2020)
- Hambantota International Port Group Tariff - 2021(01st December 2020)
- Hambantota International Port Services Tariff - 2021(01st December 2020)
- Port of Colombo: All Operations Return to Normal(30th November 2020)
- Sri Lanka Custom's Trader Re-registration initiative(26th October 2020)
- The 50th Annual General Meeting of the Sri Lanka Shippers' Council(13th August 2020)
- Chairman's Address - Mr. Suren Abeysekera(13th August 2020)
- Payments by Importers/Exporters to Freight Forwarders for Logistics Services(27th April 2020)
- Article by Mr. Suren Abeysekera - Sri Lanka The Future Hub for Logistics(16th October 2019)
- 49th AGM Sri Lanka Shippers' Council 2019-2020(18th August 2019)
- Speech by the Chief Guest Mr. Mangala P. B. Yapa(18th August 2019)
- Speech by the Outgoing Chairman of Sri Lanka Shippers Council - Mr. Chrisso de Mel(18th August 2019)
- Speech by the Incoming Chairman of Sri Lanka Shippers Council - Mr. Suren Abeysekera(18th August 2019)
- EU - Regulations on Packaging Material with effect from 14th of December 2019(21st March 2019)
- 48th AGM Sri Lanka Shippers' Council 2018-2019(24th July 2019)
- Speech by the Chief Guest & the Keynote speaker Hon. Eran Wickramaratne(12th August 2018)
- Speech by Chairman, Mr. Chrisso de Mel at the Post Business Session of 48th Annual General Meeting(10th August 2018)
- Sean Van Dort confirmed as new GSF Chairman(11th May 2018)
- Speech by Outgoing Chairman Mr. Sean Van Dort at the SLSC Post Business Session of 47th Annual General Meeting(04th July 2017)
- Speech by Incoming Chairman, Mr. Chrisso de Mel at the SLSC Post Business Session of 47th Annual General Meeting(04th July 2017)
- Speech by the Chief Guest and keynote speaker Hon. Dr. Harsha de Silva, Deputy Minister, Ministry of National Polices and Economic Affairs(04th July 2017)
- 47th AGM Sri Lanka Shippers' Council 2017-2018(04th July 2017)
- Arjuna no-balls GSP+ benefit with THC move(15th May 2017)
- Competition Policy Issues HK Competition Commission SubmissionHamburg Sud-Maersk Merger(27th April 2017)
- US antitrust regulators raid Box Club meeting(20th March 2017)
- GSF report says radical changes to container shipping market need new solutions(15th November 2016)
- Sri Lanka shippers' Council salutes the Ghana Minister of Maritime Authority for recognizing the plight of its shippers.(30th September 2016)
- Reforms in the Shipping Industry(30th September 2016)
- 46th AGM Sri Lanka Shippers' Council 2016-2017(31st August 2016)
- Global Shippers' Forum Chief hails SL's strong competition laws(02nd August 2016)
- GSF announces plan to stop container surcharges(02nd August 2016)
- New container weighing rules: GSF says unjustified VGM charges are unacceptable(04th July 2016)
- Guidance on the implementation of the SOLAS VI Regulation 2 amendment(29th June 2016)
- Shippers Council ICC Transport Guideline(29th June 2016)
- Shippers Council confers honorary membership on Chullante Jayasuriya(04th May 2016)
- Shippers' Council says 'no' to additional fee under new IMO rules(28th April 2016)
- Media Release - 50th Annivesary of Sri Lanka Shippers' Council(01st April 2016)
- Sri Lanka Shippers' Council to celebrate its 50th Anniversary this year(04th March 2016)
- Shippers' Council Chairman warns importers of attempt to distort freight market once again(04th March 2016)
- The Sri Lanka Shippers council welcomed the single window concept implemented by the Sri Lanka customs(04th March 2016)
- Shippers Council extends best wishes to PM(21st August 2015)
- 45th AGM Sri Lanka Shippers' Council 2015-2016(09th August 2015)
- Shippers' Council expresses concern over Customs Chief's sudden resignation(27th May 2015)
- NCE organises awareness seminar on Sri Lanka's FTAs with India and Pakistan and proposed FTA with China(17th April 2015)
- GSF calls for rigorous monitoring KPI's for shipping alliances(24th March 2015)
- Private sector expresses concern over truck operators' strike at Colombo Port(18th March 2015)
- Sri Lanka Customs - Notice to All Importers/CHAA(09th February 2015)
- Guidelines issued by Sri Lanka Customs about Documentation & Examination Procedure at Export Facilitation Centre (EFC).(29th October 2014)
- Media Releaes: Sri Lanka Shippers' Council hails the Sri Lanka Customs initiative to facilitate exports(16th September 2014)
- Export Facilitation Centre – Container Flow(05th September 2014)
- Sri Lanka Customs Notice - Goods Clearance sms Service(02nd September 2014)
- Sri Lanka Customs - Notice to Exporters e-CDN(02nd September 2014)
- Trade Notice - Guidelines issued by the Director General of Merchant shipping(29th August 2014)
- Sri Lanka Customs Exports Facilitation Centre - Objectives, Process and its Benefits to the trade(15th July 2014)
- Sri Lanka Customs - Notice to Exporters(14th July 2014)
- Sri Lanka Custom's Announcement: Establishment of a Centralized Cargo Processing Facility at Port Access Road(03rd July 2014)
- 44th AGM Sri Lanka Shippers' Council 2014-2015(27th June 2014)
- Trade notice - Issued by Director General Merchant Shipping - Maximum Delivery Order fee(25th April 2014)
- Trade Notice - To be vigilant on exorbitant local charges by some service providers(01st February 2014)
- The Extraordinary Gazette on Terminal Handling and Other Charges(06th January 2014)
- Sri Lanka Shippers' Council welcomes the Budget Proposals on Shipping(02nd December 2013)
- Customs Notice Penalty Tables for late reporting and amendments to cargo manifest(26th November 2013)
- Trade Notice - A list of licensed FFs with DGMS as at 08/11/2013(09th November 2013)
- P3 Network Takes Shape [Infographic](30th October 2013)
- Trade Notice Sri Lanka Customs - New Gazette No 1829/39 of 27/09/2013(18th October 2013)
- Notice issued by Director General Merchant Shipping for non licensed Freight Forwarders and NVOCC Operators(26th Saptember 2013)
- IMO passes mandatory container weighing – but with a compromise for shippers(26th Saptember 2013)
- Shipper anger grows as more airlines weigh in with costly surcharge change(26th Saptember 2013)
- The Minister of Finance has issued regulations and Colombo and Hambantota ports have been declared as Free Ports(16th August 2013)
- Sri Lanka Shippers' Council Meeting with Sri Lanka Customs(26th July 2013)
- Changes to the Export Cargo Clearance Procedure(04th July 2013)
- Container lines band up to beat the blues(21st June 2013)
- 43rd Annual General Meeting 2013-2014 – Sri Lanka Shippers' Council(14th June 2013)
- Awareness Seminar on Avoiding risks on ad-hoc charges in international trade contracts(30th April 2013)
- Full Implimentation Of Sri Lanka Custom'S Asycuda World System(06th March 2013)
- New 20ft box design promises greater capacity for shippers(20th February 2013)
- Shipping lines cut capacity and up rates as Asia-Europe stays weak(18th February 2013)
- Sri Lanka Shippers' Council visits Mattala Airport and Magampura Port(09th February 2013)
- Container Ship Capacity Around the World Is Up 6 Percent(14th January 2013)
- Full time AW help desk to solve urgent operational issues is now in place at Sri Lanka customs(20th December 2012)
- Trade Circular 21:IMPORTANT TRADE NOTICE for all methyl bromide users(24th September 2012)
- SLSC Circular to the membership / Importers & Exporters(17th September 2012)
- Open Discussion - Issues related to SLPA's newly implemented Cargo Management Module(22nd August 2012)
- Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) Circular: Implementation of the Cargo Management Module for Imports(08th August 2012)
- 42nd AGM Sri Lanka Shippers' Council 2012-2013(27th July 2012)
- Progress review discussion on Asycuda World (AW) Implementation(19th June 2012)
- Awareness Seminar on Regularizing Methyl Bromide Fumigation Procedure and Usage (01st June 2012)
- SLSC conducted Inspection tour to SLPA Warehouses (23rd & 25th May 2012)
- Online Submission of CUSDECs with blend sheets (17th May 2012)
- Sri Lanka Ports Authority Notice to all Exporters/Shippers/Forwarding Agencies (18th April 2012)
- Seminar on current status of Simplified VAT scheme (29th March 2012)
- Monitoring Procedure for fumigation using Me Br Incompliance with Montreal Protocol (26th March 2012)
- Advance Facilities to the Shipping Industry from SL Ports Authority,an awareness seminar organized by Sri Lanka Shippers Council (26th January 2012)
Colombo-bound container vessel impounded at Ctg port
29th July 2021
A Colombo-bound vessel carrying export containers has been kept impounded at the Chattogram port's outer anchorage in Bangladesh for the last eight days by Chittagong Port Authority (CPA) following a High Court order.
The vessel's local shipping agent said a local importing firm has filed an admiralty suit against the Liberian flagged MV MSC Kymea and 13 others centring a dispute over some cargo provided by a supplier, the Daily Star reported.
The vessel has nothing to do with the issue, added the agent.
The development comes at a time when a huge quantity of Colombo-bound export-laden containers has piled up at Bangladesh's private inland depots.
The backlog resulted from an acute shortage of empty containers and space shortages in mother vessels at transhipment ports like Colombo.
In an attempt to expedite the shipment of export cargo, mainly readymade garment, the CPA has recently started giving Colombo-bound vessels priority berthing at the port.
It has also allowed a few new vessels to ply the Chattogram-Colombo route.
MSC Kymea was about to leave on July 20 after loading 1,080 TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units) of export-laden containers when the High Court order came.
CPA Harbour Master Captain Zahirul Islam said the vessel was immediately impounded.
Sources said a Dhaka-based importing firm, RB Con-cast and Rerolling Mills (Pvt), filed the admiralty suit.
According to the case statement, the RB had signed a contract with UK-based supplier SRP World on February 4 this year to import 500 tonnes of heavy melting scrap.
MSC Kymea arrived at the port on July 17 with the scrap in 23 containers. However, the RB was unable to receive the goods.
This was because Chattogram-based HM Steel Industry was asked to take the delivery instead of the RB, said the case statement.
The shipping company, Geneva-based Mediterranean Shipping Company SA, said the supplier SRP had mentioned HM as the importer at the loading port.
Contacted, Ajmir Hossain Chowdhury, head of operations and logistics of the shipper's local agent, said they came to know that the RB had opened the letter of credit (LC).
The dispute is between the importer and supplier but the importer filed the suit against the vessel, he said.
Each day that the vessel overstays results in additional operational costs of around $20,000, he said.
Uncertainty prevails over whether the export cargoes the vessel is carrying can be timely shipped, said Chowdhury.
A connecting mother vessel has already left the transhipment port on July 26 without taking those containers while the next mother vessel is scheduled to leave next week and chances are that too could be missed, he feared.
He said they were contacted with the ship's international P&I (protection and indemnity) Club to avail a High Court bail paying a bank guarantee of Tk 2.61 crore, the LC value claimed by the plaintiff.News Top
Solution by Nidro IT Solutions
All rights Reserved. Sri Lanka Shippers Council